We tend to always hear about the negative aspects of social media, but sometimes, it has the power to make the world a better place – IF you use it correctly! Although social media can be used in ways that can be harmful, like cyberbullying , there are many positive ways to use it to empower yourself and other people or groups. Here are a few ways social media can help with your personal or professional development in safe ways.
- Spread positive messages! Sharing positive experiences (e.g., volunteering) might encourage others to learn more about or share your message.
- Create profiles on sites such as LinkedIn. Advertising yourself for the future can be a great way to put yourself out there.
- Expressing your opinion in a private social media status update can help give you the courage to voice your opinion out loud in public.
- Social media can help develop cultural awareness and allow teens to discover how people their age live in other countries.
- Familiarizes teens with technological functions that are used in many different career fields.
- Social media has also been reported to help build confidence
Can you think of any other ways that social media has helped you or your teen? Have you ever talked to your child about the positive ways to use social media? Let us know in the comment section below!