The SOVA Project is happy to feature this blog post written by one in our team of fantastic SOVA Ambassadors—these are young people who help create meaningful blog posts from adolescents’ perspectives. We hope you can use their post to start a conversation with your adolescent.
You don’t need me to tell you that this year has been a very stressful time. With the year coming to a close, I want to take the opportunity to find some techniques that will help me take a step back and work on relaxing and be more mindful. If you ever feel like you are getting stressed or overwhelmed, try one of these activities and see how it can help!
- Take a warm bath
- Listen to your favorite music
- Take some deep/slow breaths for a couple minutes
- Try a 10 minute yoga video
- Enjoy a hot cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate
- Take a walk or get some other type of exercise
- Make yourself a healthy snack
- Talk to a family member or friend for 10 minutes
- Journal and write down your thoughts
- Do a crossword puzzle or word search
- Light your favorite candle/essential oil
- Squeeze on a stress ball (or a bunched up washcloth)
- Read a chapter of a good book
- Bake a pie or some cookies
- Watch an episode of your favorite TV show
- Do a craft or DIY project
- Listen to a podcast
- Do a full body stretch
- Take a quick nap
Some of my favorite relaxation techniques are going to the gym, listening to music/podcasts and taking a warm bath. These activities help me re-center my thoughts and focus on clearing my head for awhile.
How do you like to de-stress and be able to continue to conquer all of your daily activities? Have you ever tried anything from this list? What has helped you more than others?